Friday, November 5, 2010

"The Making of A Prince", by Bruce Butler

.


Last week, I finished reading an new book called "The Making of A Prince", by Bruce Butler.

A friend on Facebook whom I went to church with a hundred years ago (I am very aged, like... "Gandalf" old) posted a link to her dad's book, so I decided to check it out.

It made it even easier to order, because it was also available in Amazon Kindle format.

(With my Kindle, I get books within seconds and don't have to pay money for them. I just click a button that says "Give Me This Book" and voila'... once a month or so, the wife gets mad because of some new "statement in the mail" or something. Very convenient.)

I first met Bruce many moons ago at New Beginnings Christian Center in Portland Oregon. His involvement then and over the years with prison ministry adds an interesting sense of realism and inspiration to the related chapters from the book.

The Making of A Prince is an intriguing story of faith and redemption, somewhat reminiscent of tales by Victor Hugo. The newborn crown prince of Sabothenia, a European nation mostly untouched by the corruption of the 20th century, is tragically kidnapped and thought by many to never be seen again.

With nice attention to detail in creating a fictional European nation and its personas, the story forces you to ask what is the depths of depravity a person can be forced into by unseen hands and can the worst of the worst in society be redeemed.

Full of biblical allegory, it's an enjoyable read for Christians and non-Christians alike. It is the first in a series and it will be interesting to see how the story develops.

3 comments:

  1. Always nice to hear about books that are entertaining and insightful...I will need to check this book out at Amazon for a hard copy for alas I do not have a Kindle {I've been dropping hints for ages about getting one but no one is catching on}. Always like books that are part of a series - that way I don't have to say goodbye to a friend I have grown to like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, hard copies are now available on my website: bruceedwardbutler.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom

    I don't know if you remember the Butlers from NBCC, but Bruce's kids were in the youth group when Amy and I worked with Mark.

    It was a fun read. I will probably order a hard copy for Austin for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete